Sunday, April 3, 2011

Breakfast

Its Sunday.  For some unknown reason the local power company decided today would be a good day to do some maintenance on the electric lines.  They sent me a warning letter that today the power would be going off about 8:30 and be off for up to 7 hrs.  Happy Sunday to me. 

So I made plans to go out to breakfast with a co-worker and her sister.  We have not socialized out side of work before, but it sounded good.  I wake up hungry and am useless until I have my tea.  No power, no tea, and best not to even open the fridge.  So we meet at her favorite breakfast restaurant.  The Sunrise Cafe.  I had never been.  Its probably about 15 miles from me.  It was like a movie set cafe in some small town where everyone knows everyone, and its the place to be.  Interesting.  The food was great, the service was great. 


But my friend, T. grabs the check and no matter how many times I shoved money at her, she totally refused to take it.  Yes, it was a very nice gesture.  But....we make the same.  Granted, she also has a husbands income.  But it was not my birthday or any other special occasion.  We do not normally do this, so no idea if I will be able to easily pay her back next time by grabbing check faster.  If I even remember to bring extra money if there even is a next time.  I could certainly afford my own breakfast and had every intention of paying for it.  Yes, it was very nice and generous of her.  But I am so uncomfortable with that.  Why do people do that?


My policy is only if its a relative, or some sort of celebration, or someone I either have, or might some time sleep with can they pay for me.  Otherwise, just let me pay my own way.  You can be generous and pay the tip if you want.  I can deal with that, but not my whole meal.  I socialize so seldom I get very nervous before joining someone.  But I think it went OK, other than the paying thing.


Then I tried to do some errands.  Yeah, I actually accomplished some, but it was so hard and so painful.  My hip is so bad.  I spent all day yesterday doing house stuff.  But what I accomplished should have been done in no more than half a day.  Everything takes so much longer when I am in pain, and unable to bend.  Some days are worse than others.  Sometimes I know why, and sometimes not.  There was no reason for yesterday to have been so bad.  Today was only a tiny bit better.  The pain just sucks the life out of me.


Then I went to a movie.  It was about the time power should have been back on, but could not be sure, or take any more pain of trying to do stuff.  It is my weekend.  So I went to see "The Adjustment Bureau".  I liked it.  It gives you something to think about.  Matt Damon is so much better and cuter than he was early on, I think.  The ticket guy, Cory, was adorable too. 


After the movie I went out for yogurt.  I love the self serve places.  I am always amazed at how fast it adds up.  Its 39 cents an oz.  Where is the cents symbol?  How strange.  Anyway I figure, I am not even filling my cup up, it should be like 3 something.  But no...its almost always 4 something.  A whole pound would be $6.24.  So apparently I must be eating about 3/4 of  a pound each time.  That is amazing.


That on top of the breakfast place gives very large servings.  Both my friend and her sister are bigger than me, but brought part of their breakfast home for tomorrow.  I ate every bit of mine.  Oink, oink. 


6:30 Sunday night.  I accomplished very little this weekend.  And I now have about 6 weekends left before my surgery.  Yikes!!!  So much to do, so little time, and too much pain to function like a normal person.  Lets hope I am less sore next weekend.

No comments: