Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Cruel World

Cruel World

Yesterday I heard a bird outside my bedroom window sounding like it was distressed. I finally figured I better go see what was going on. It was a baby Mockingbird in the bushes. He was just learning to fly. He was a foot or two off the ground, asking Mom to feed him. She had a bug in her beak, and was about to when she saw me. She dropped the bug, to scold me. I backed way off, hoping she would get another and feed the baby. She was quite upset that I was any where she could see me. He was fully feathered, cute, healthy looking and sounding. She had done a good job. I wondered if there were any others of hers still around. But at least she had this one, and if she could keep him alive another 2 weeks, he should be good to go.

It was the first thing that had made me smile outside in quite a while.

I gave up and went inside, tried to peak out the window. I could see her with a bug again, but could not see the baby from there. She was doing such a good job.

This afternoon I found what looked like baby Mockingbird remains in the front yard. I am heartbroken. I feel Moms pain.

Stupid cat...I think. I often see a certain cat in the yard, but had not seen him in a couple days, but more that likely it was him. I wish I could get close enough to put a bell on him at least. I am so sick of finding dead bodies. I want to love being outside again, but I don't and fear I will never will. That scares me.